Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Dogs and Children

Sunday, yeah, I'm almost certain it was Sunday....two days ago? yeah....okay....

Anyway, Sunday, the dogs got out. Not just one of them. ALL THREE OF THEM! The mischievous one decided to finish punching a hole in the already weak boards on the fence. We didn't see him. We don't have to. We didn't have escapes until we got him. There. It WAS him!

Well, the boys (the mischievous one is a black lab, the other is a Siberian husky) made it about 4 miles street distance away before anyone got them stopped. We found on our journeys to find the girl (hang on, almost there), that all three stopped about one street over to sniff one neighbor's yard pretty thoroughly before the boys continued on their journey. A very nice gentleman saw them, recognized that they weren't the typical ones he sees in that area of the neighborhood and stopped them. He said that they were very happy to have had human attention and came right up to him. Yep, my babies have never NOT been friendly. Sometimes overly so, but they are definitely friendly. After playing phone tag for a little while (oops, forgot to update tags with current numbers), we got the message that the dogs not only were out, but two of them were safely being held for us to pick up.

That means there's one missing, right? Yep. With NO identification on her. She's never escaped past one neighbor over. She's part coon hound, part yellow lab. The hound in her wants to smell everything. ... EVERYTHING ....

After about an hour of frantic driving around the neighborhood, stopping neighbors to ask about her, and enlisting others to drive around to look for her...we got her back. Two very ingenious kids grabbed a leash when all three stopped near their friend's yard, and managed to catch Sally (aka Baby Girl, Sweet Miss). They were diligently walking her, hoping she'd lead them back to her house. They were only about 1/2 a mile away. Just took us an hour to find that out.

Now that they're all safe and home, I spent yesterday tending to making them identification that they can't lose, and that we'll notice to change if my cell number ever changes. They each now have new collars (reused old collar hardware, used new webbing that didn't smell). Each collar is color-coded either pink, green, or blue. Each has the dog's name and the phone number embroidered directly onto it. I took some iron-on vinyl and affixed that to strips of cotton in a color befitting each dog. I embroidered the piece then affixed it to the webbing and crafted the collar in a one-size format that would fit properly for each.

Now, if the dogs get out, then they'll have my cell number with them no matter where they go! Faster response time!

As for the "Children" part of the posting... I've been busily dealing with medical issues for one child, and mentally preparing myself to watch another compete in track and field in a few days. Watching one of my kids compete in something I never could have dreamed of for myself back in the day gives me the chills and reminds me how awesome it is. I'll post track results, provided I can and don't forget. I'll also post when some of the medical issues have been resolved for the other. Oh crap....there's also another birthday to work into all of this. Off I go again!

No comments:

Post a Comment